It takes years of searching, cutting-edge science and sophisticated technology, coupled with traditional mining know-how to find diamonds. We explore in two stages, each supported by extensive field and laboratory resources.
Early stage exploration - In the reconnaissance and discovery phases, we decide where to explore and identify targets for further analysis by:
- Conducting geophysical studies from the surface
- Sampling soil and stream sediments for indicator minerals
- Drilling to extract materials for examination
Advanced exploration - Not every discovery is an economically viable kimberlite – in fact, the vast majority are not. We use the following advanced techniques to determine which ones are.
- Microdiamond analysis uses the size, frequency and distribution of tiny diamonds to assess potential and prioritise projects
- Macrodiamond analysis extracts diamonds from bulk samples to determine grade and estimated value
Unparalleled diamond exploration experience, geological and mineral expertise and globally benchmarked laboratory services support our exploration activities.