Element Six

Element Six delivers extreme performance for precision metal machining through its PcBN inserts

As diamonds are a miracle of nature, so synthetics are a triumph of science.

Element Six is the global leader in the design, development and production of synthetic diamond supermaterials. Part of the De Beers Group, Element Six is an independently managed global company with its head office registered in Luxembourg, and primary manufacturing facilities in Ireland, China, Germany, Sweden, South Africa and the UK.

For over 50 years, the core business has remained the synthesis and processing of synthetic diamond supermaterials, a term which includes manufactured synthetic diamond and other supermaterials such as cubic boron nitride, tungsten carbide and silicon cemented diamond.  While synthetic diamond is well known as the planet’s hardest known material, it has many extreme properties and is one of the most useful and remarkable materials. It is from carbon therefore, the sixth element of the periodic table, that the business takes its name: Element Six.

Visit the Element Six Website

Read more about link page title
Element Six is the market leader in the development of synthetics for a broad range of optical applications

Element Six’s mission is to deliver extreme performance for end users through innovative supermaterial solutions.  Element Six focuses on close strategic development partnerships with customers to deliver customised, innovative high performance products.  The business consistently strives to provide excellent customer service and continuous productivity enhancement.

Element Six is made up of two businesses; Technologies and Ventures, which are 100% owned by the De Beers Group; and Abrasives, which is ~60% owned by the De Beers Group, with Umicore, a major global materials group, owning the remaining ~40%. Building on the future potential of synthetic diamond, Element Six created a Ventures unit with seven investments pursuing new synthetic diamond-based applications. 

Element Six uses high pressure, high temperature (HPHT) synthesis to manufacture synthetic diamond and cubic boron nitride (CBN)